300 gm Rice – uncooked
1 litre Curd
200 ml Milk
To taste Salt
A pinch Sugar – optional
600 ml Water
75 ml Oil
1 tbsp Mustard
1 tbsp Urad dal – whole
1 tbsp Channa dal
1 tbsp Ginger – chopped
1 tbsp Green chilli – chopped
1 sprig Curry leaves
½ tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- Wash and soak rice for 1 hour.
- Add double the quantity water and boil the rice till it becomes soft.
- Add the milk and boil together.
- Let the mixture cool down and then add curd, salt and sugar; mix well.
- Heat oil, crackle mustard; then add urad and channa dal and fry until golden. Finally add chopped ginger and green chillies, curry leaves and hing and fry to enhance flavour.
- Add this mixture to the rice and mix well.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with pickles and other accompaniments.